The first two days here, I was hooked up 24 hours a day to RP, affectionately known otherwise as Roley Poley, Poley Slims, Slim Shady, etc. Needless to say, dragging a 30 lb. pole with various electronic equipment and bags of fluid and antibiotics attached slows one down a bit. Between dragging the pole and having to wear my Darth Vader mask, getting exercise through walking was proving quite a challenge. Oh, and did I mention that it takes 20-30 seconds to walk from one end of the stem cell unit hallway to the other?
Not one to be easily deterred, I was able to convince my doctors to unhook me from RP for a few hours a day, so for the last several mornings I’ve been going on early morning “power-walks.” Power-walking around a U-shaped hallway the length of a half a basketball court is no small feat. The first morning, the nurses looked at me like I was a madwoman because they thought I kept running back and forth from my room to get something! I told them to get used to it because I’d have to pass them quite a few times in the next 20 minutes :).
A couple days ago, the second day of my power-walk marathon training, I was in the middle of my run when Zack decided to join me. He soon found that my mad power-walking skills were too much for him and was about to respectfully bow out, when I challenged him to a walk-off. Never one to shy away from a competition, Zack accepted the challenge and we took our positions. We soon caught the attention of the nurses, and one offered to be the referee while the others watched in eager anticipation. Sadly, I was beaten in this race, but Zack concedes that what he has in speed I have in endurance, which is what I’ll need in this marathon :).
10 points to whoever can find the Zoolander reference in this post.
Is the Zoolander reference, "He soon found that my mad power-walking skills were too much for him ...?"
ReplyDeleteDetermined indeed. Becky, when your done with all this, you and I are doing a marathon together. Anyone else wanna com with me and Becky?
ReplyDeleteI'll watch all of Becky's marathons from the sidelines. I'll be a cheerleader. Becky, Becky she's our girl if she can't do it no one will. Yeah.
ReplyDeleteI love reading your posts. Today's was very fun.
Hey maybe we can make an outfit for your new best friend? I wonder if the nurses would let us?
You and Zack are so cute! ...I can't find the reference.
ReplyDeleteKhashina, you're close! But no, that's not it :). I love the outfit idea but I don't think it's considered sanitary enough for this environment. We want to make a sign for RP that can be laminated so we can wipe it down and move it from pole to pole (they switch them out every couple days). It could say Roley Poley and have a picture of a rollie pollie bug on it :).
ReplyDeleteHey Becky! Hope your feeling better. I think your refrence is "Walk off" (from the cat walk)
ReplyDelete"Now, this'll be a straight walk-off, old school rules. First model walks; second model duplicates, then elaborates. Okay, boys - let's go to work!"
Keep those lil gems going :P. Praying for ya
-Mike S
Yes! Mike, you got it. "It's a walk-off!" I think we should embed movie references in every blog post, with a prize for the person who finds the most :).
ReplyDelete