"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and...let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith...so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

Hebrews 12:1-3

Friday, February 11, 2011

Hospital food stereotypes debunked!

I'm the first to agree with the stereotypes about hospital food. We all know them: bland, nasty-looking, foul-smelling, you get the idea. But I have seriously been impressed with about 80% of the food they've served me so far! It probably helps that I'm not nauseated yet, but regardless, I'm pleasantly surprised.
Here are the meals I (or my parents or Zack) have enjoyed so far:

Shanghai noodles. Had these for lunch today, and they're #1 for sure. What are they, you ask? Asian noodles served with tender beef, crisp bok choy, red pepper, and onions all covered in a tangy teriyaki sauce. Am I making you salivate? ;)

Other winners:
Chicken tenders and French fries, though the fries are inconsistent in their quality and the cafeteria has a strange concept of serving size. Once we got a huge pile and another time we literally got 5.

New England clam chowder. I highly doubt its "New England" authenticity, but it was creamy and potato-ey (probably just made up a word) and was quite delicious when paired with the whole wheat dinner roll.

Organic ranch dressing. Would you believe the hospital is jumping on the organic bandwagon? Crazy, huh? I'm very picky about my ranch dressing (who else thinks Wishbone ranch tastes like medicine?).

Breakfast potatoes. They're probably loaded with butter, since my stomach hurt after eating them, but they're seasoned well and browned perfectly. Good stuff.

I must say that watching the Food Network has expanded my food vocabulary and appreciation for "good eats." Thank you Alton Brown ;).

3 comments:

  1. I think WIshbone anything tastes like medicine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you agree; I thought it was just me! Though their Caesar and balsamic are okay.

    ReplyDelete