Based on that title, you probably think I’m getting a little full of myself, but let me explain. I’ve looked “sick” in various ways for the past 2+ years. Since 2010, my weight has fluctuated from 85 to 130 lbs., my hair has fallen out three times, my skin has displayed a range of colors, from blotchy red to pasty white, and I’ve sported a face mask that suggests I’m either a serial killer or preparing for impending nuclear disaster. I’ve been confined to my apartment for months, in and out of the hospital more times than I care to count, and on kidney dialysis.
Compared to all that, I now look pretty good. The upside of this is that the standard has never been lower. Who else is told she looks “fantastic” just because she has hair? I’m greeted by exclamations of, “You’ve gained weight!” as if I just won the lottery, and I keep having to fight the urge to retort, “You’re looking rather chubby yourself!” and remind myself that’s a good thing.
When I stop and think about it, I’ve come such a long way over the past couple years. The other day while I was taking a walk, I remembered the months that I either wasn’t allowed outside or didn’t have the strength or energy to walk more than half a block. However, I still have some serious challenges, some physical but mainly emotional, as a result of my disease and bone marrow transplant. I think people have seen me looking sick for so long that now, because from a physical standpoint I look and feel so much better, they assume I’m great!
On my bad days, I dread going to the doctor or seeing people I haven’t seen in a while because I don’t want to hear the constant repetition of, “You look so good!” You’d think I’d be flattered to hear that I look good, and sometimes I am, but in reality that assertion often makes me feel pressure to reassure people that I’m doing well for their own peace of mind. What if I told you about my depression, fears about the future, or hip pain from a steroid-related condition unknown to almost everyone? Would that let you down? I can also feel misunderstood when told I look good, because my appearance often doesn’t correlate with how I feel. When you look good, people think you feel good, and so they don’t understand when you can’t do “normal” things or handle as many responsibilities.
With all that said, I am grateful that I’ve come so far, a concept that I’m still trying to grasp. I also appreciate when people compliment me, because I know they see dramatic changes in me that represent growth and new beginnings. I want to feel as good as I look, but it’s taking me time to get there.
As you know Becky, everyone who loves you wants the best for you. A comment of "you look good or you look amazingly healthy" or whatever is a vote of "go girl".....no one knows what to say. If one doesn't tell you they see you looking better then they feel they let you down. To assume that those who say "you look great" also think "wow....she is 110% and all it perfect in her world" is not true for anyone who knows you. It is so very hard for you to deal with all the emotional "stuff" that comes with facing death so many times and still struggling with new and old huge challenges. That is on top of the physical pain and fears of "what might happen next"? Not sure how to say this but I for one am very happy when you have a relatively pain free, new normal hour let alone day (s).....I know how tough every thing is for you. That is why you are such an inspiration. Meanwhile you look so much better...and that is one beautiful young woman - in and out!
ReplyDeleteYou are beautiful inside and out Becky, I have always thought that. Your beauty and goodness and righteousness radiates from your face, and always will.
ReplyDeleteAll of us, our shells will wither, some sooner than others. But those who have inner beauty, you never really notice. You are such a person. We all love you and want what's best for you. You and Zach deserve all the good things life has to offer. In the end, however, we simply must accept God's will with as much grace and dignity and humor as possible. And it's ok to be angry or sad or afraid. Just enjoy today, and know how much you are loved.
So despite how you just explained how sometimes youre not really into this... I'm just gonna say, DANG girl. You look GOOD.
ReplyDelete;)
Oh no, now everyone who reads this is going to stop telling me I look good and I'm going to get massively insecure. Great...lol
Deleteawesome, honest post/thoughts; you're such a talented writer and i'm so thankful that you let me along for the ride. have you read 'the fault in our stars?' i figure you have, but this post reminds me of the 'real' in cancer/sickness/suffering (explored in the book) and how we all put up fronts/masks/acts to please others, and in some sense, make ourselves feel better. its YA fiction, but worth the read, i thought.
ReplyDeleteas always, sending love.
I haven't read that, but I will definitely check it out. Just knowing that I have friends out there who not only read my random, not always pleasant thoughts but care enough to respond is a blessing. :)
DeleteBecky - can I say it again? You look good! and is a good thing :) love you
ReplyDelete